Thursday, July 9, 2015

That Time I Failed At Cooking

Okay, so I consider myself to be a fairly good cook.  I like to think I've mastered the basics like searing fish, broiling meat, and not burning down the kitchen while trying to boil water.  I deep fry a turkey every year for Thanksgiving.  I can even grill a pretty mean burger.  Every now and again, though, I cook something that would cause Chef Ramsay to burst an artery.  

Like this. This is bad.

 Did the plumbing back up?  Is that the result of partying way too hard?  No, ladies and gentlemen, that is what you get when you leave egg noodles in a crock pot overnight.  Never leave egg noodles in a crock pot overnight.  By the way, it tasted just about as good as it looked.  

Yeah...kind of like that...

Obviously I was not a happy camper.  That was a lot of food that had seemingly gone to waste, but I couldn't bring myself to just toss it all out.  Turns out the answer to this problem, as with so many others, was to give it to my dogs. Really I wasn't sure what they'd think of it-they can be surprisingly picky at times.  I decided the only thing to do was to slop it in their bowls and see what happened.

The whole affair ended up playing out kind of like this...


That's right folks.  It turns out they liked it.  A lot.

Nomnomnomnom
Honestly I was shocked.  I expected a huff of indifference at best, a "surprise" in my shoes at worst.  Even Enrique ate it, and this is a dog that turns up his nose at Heartguard.  I felt vindicated in a way.  It turned out I hadn't wasted my time the night before when I prepared the ill-fated meal.  The timing was perfect, too, because I had a crock pot full of food, and my dogs just happened to have run out of their prepared meals.  I wasted no time in turning that nasty-looking slop into a hearty repast.

They shall feast like kings!  For a few days at least...
Let's hear from you all now.  What cooking fails have you turned into wins for your pups?

No comments:

Post a Comment